Your Guide to Traffic Accident Compensation Claims

Being in a traffic accident is often one of the scariest times in someone’s life. If you were in an accident and experienced damage to your vehicle or injuries to your person, you may qualify for traffic accident compensation. Traffic lawyers in Parramatta can ensure you make the right decisions for your case, but this guide to accident compensation claims is an excellent place to start.

Ask Traffic Lawyers in Parramatta: Who Can Claim Compensation After a Car Accident?

If you’ve been injured in a car accident in the NSW area, chances are you qualify for compensation via the CTP insurance scheme. Compensation is available to drivers and their passengers, riders and pillion passengers, cyclists, and pedestrians who were injured either physically or psychologically in an accident. The exception is if you were charged with a serious driving offence in relation to the accident or if you were uninsured and the at-fault driver.  If someone was injured in the accident and cannot file the claim personally, a family member can do so for them.

How Long After an Accident Do You Have To File Your Claim in NSW?

In NSW, the amount of time that you have to file your claim depends on the kind of claim that you want to file. If you are seeking personal injury benefits, you have three months from the date of the accident to file your claim. However, it is important to note that you only have 28 days to report the accident to the police if they were not on the scene the day it happened. A solicitor in Parramatta can help you determine if you still have time to file your claim.

Lump Sum Compensation

Another type of compensation you may receive after an accident is lump sum compensation, sometimes referred to as common law damages. It is a good idea to seek out this type of compensation with the help of law firms in Parramatta. This compensation is available when people incur serious injuries in an accident that was not their fault. If you decide to file a lump sum claim, you have three years from the date of the accident to do so.

If your permanent impairment is less than 10%, filing 20 months to three years after the accident may extend your income support payments for two to three years. If your permanent impairment is more than 10%, you can file any time after discovering this to be the case.

Funeral Compensation

The final type of claim you can file is for funeral expenses if someone died in the car accident. You must make this claim within three months of the date of the accident. On occasion, extensions are granted if you can provide a good reason for waiting to file a claim.

How Much Compensation Can I Expect To Receive From My Claim?

In the 12 months prior to May 2022, people who reported claims for compensation with the help of Parramatta law firms received an average of $90,140. The amount you can expect for your own compensation claim depends on the extent of your injuries. The claims process classifies injuries as minor or non-minor. Minor injuries are typically soft tissue ones such as a sore back or whiplash. Non-minor injuries include organ damage or fractures like a broken arm or a head injury. Keep in mind that your compensation also depends on the extent of your lost income and other losses.

Minor Injuries vs. Non-Minor Injuries

Typically, someone who files a minor injury claim will receive supplemental income, medical expenses, and home care expenses for up to six months. Someone who receives a non-minor injury but has less than 10% impairment receives income, medical, and home care support for 24 months or longer and may receive a lump sum for past and future lost income. Someone who has a non-minor injury and more than 10% impairment can receive everything someone with less than 10% impairment has as well as an additional lump sum for pain and suffering.

Talk to Traffic Lawyers in Parramatta

Have you been in an accident in NSW? Do you need help determining whether you should file a compensation claim? Talk to traffic lawyers in Parramatta at Barwick Boitano Lawyers. Our experienced and professional attorneys can help you file your claim and get the compensation you deserve.